The driver that caused my accident had very little insurance coverage — not nearly enough to pay for my injuries — is there anything I can do to get more money?

If the other driver’s insurance is not enough to compensate you for the extent of your injuries, the next step is to see whether you had “under-insured motorist coverage” on your vehicle at the time of the accident. If so, you may be able to make a claim on your own policy for the damages that exceed the amount of the liability coverage. Let me give you an example: You are rear ended in a car accident. The person who rear ended you had $100,000 of liability coverage to pay for your injuries. However, the value of your claim is $250,000. Let’s say you had $250,000 of under-insured motorist coverage on your own policy for the vehicle you were driving at the time of the accident. In this example, you might be able to recover $100,000 from the at-fault party, plus an additional $150,000 in under-insured motorist benefits from your own policy.