I just got hurt on the job. What do I need to do?

The first thing you need to do is report the accident to a supervisor or manager of your employer. This is really important because the law says that you have to report the approximate date and place of the accident to your employer within 45 days. If you don’t, then your case can be denied. It is always best to fill out a written accident report and get a copy for yourself. If you don’t, then you are in a “he said/she said” type of situation, where your employer can deny that you reported it, and you won’t have any solid proof that you did.
The next thing is to go to a doctor right away. Your employer does not have any legal right to tell you where to go for your medical treatment. Go to an orthopedic doctor who specializes in treating the body part that was injured. Going to your family doctor is usually not a good idea, because they don’t have the expertise to deal with bone, joint, nerve or cartilage injuries. Make sure you tell every doctor you go to that the injury happened on the job and explain the details of how the accident occurred!

Next, get a lawyer immediately. The workers compensation insurance company is not on your side. The insurance company is not there to protect you or give you advice for your benefit; it is there to protect its own interests and the interests of the employer by denying or minimizing claims and paying as little as possible.